ST ALBERT THE GREAT NEWMAN PARISH
Pastoral Council Meeting February 11, 2019
Present: Fr. Alex, D. Anderson, S. Argaon, Ed. Archuleta, H. Davis,
M. Dixon, B. Dominguez, R. Higgs, C. Logan, (Vice-
Chairperson), C. Roberts.
Absent: A. Price
Guest: Charlie Graves
Overview: Christine called the meeting to order. She announced that
Michael Riley has resigned and so has student Anissa Wright.
She introduced our guest: Charlie Graves who wished to make
Ed. Archuleta provided prayer.
Richard made motion to accept the January 15 Summary
Notes; Ed. seconded. Notes approved.
1) Building Plans. Background and future options “What Can
Parish Council Do to Assist Fr. Alex.” He indicated that “the
construction of a new church would cost a lot.” The question is
what do we want and need?
□ Parish Hall (with flexible space for classrooms)
□ Catechism space for children
□ Remodel existing facility
● Estimated Cost- Richard mentioned that $1.1 million has been
● It was mentioned that construction cost would be between
$4-$5 + million dollars +
● The Diocese requires that 50% of funds be in place.
● Following further discussion there was consensus that the
Pastoral Council should provide the leadership to move the
building plans forward. This would entail providing an
update to the parish as to where things stand and outline next
steps. Sue Padilla will be invited to attend the next meeting
and provide report on a) Background , b) Plans, c) Next steps,
2) Registration Opportunity at 9:30am Mass- Christine indicated that
we should proceed with the Census Update at the Spanish Mass.
This is scheduled to take place on February 24. Volunteers are
needed. Mike volunteered. Christine will try and recruit one or
two more individuals.
1) Financial Report Re Lunch Bunch/La Bodega- Richard provided a
financial report for these two Ministries.
A) Lunch Bunch shows a major deficit-
■ Fr. Alex indicated that it has a long tradition. Mike indicated
that many of the students served are international.
►Key Questions include:
○ What is its Mission?
○ Do we want it to continue? [Perhaps meals should be served
to the Wednesday Campus Ministry Group.]
○ What is its relationship to Campus Ministry and should the
two not be coordinated?
○ Mike will follow-up with Bonnie.
B) LaBodega shows a surplus- Richard indicated that La Bodega
should implement a program that will reduce the financial surplus
in support of needed households.
■ Hiram who serves as a volunteer indicated that many needed
households and children are served. None of these are St.
► Key Questions include:
○ What is its Mission?
○ Ideas for improvement?
○ Are we taking care of our Parishioners?
○ Should there be a Committee?
New Business (Cont.):
2 ) Friday’s during Lent – Christine announced that the Council ‘s
date to “Serve Soup for Lent” is March 29. She passed out a
sign up sheet. We need soup for approximately 20 parishioners
as well as servers. Soup and servers should be available at
3) Additional Student Representative- Clair is our only student
representative. She will try and recruit another student.
4) Church Fundraiser- Charlie Graves- Presented an idea for
obtaining car from a local Dealership and sale raffle tickets
($50-$100). He has approached several Dealerships who have
expressed an interest. The raffle would be in conjunction with
the next Pachanga. Discussion followed. There seems to be
interest in pursuing this matter further.