ST ALBERT THE GREAT NEWMAN PARISH
Pastoral Council Meeting May 13, 2019
Present: D. Anderson, S. Aragon, Ed Archuleta, H. Davis, M. Dixon,
C. Logan, (Chairperson), A. Price
Absent: Fr. Alex, R. Higgs, C. Roberts
Guests: Isela Alvarez, Emma Armendariz, Bonnie Beneddetti, Celina
Chavez, Nancy Davis, Isabel Gallegos, Deanna Gibbs,
James Kelly, Debra Merigo, Elaine Paredes
Overview: Christine called the meeting to order. She led the Council
members in a prayer.
Ed made motion to accept the April 8 Summary
Notes; Mike seconded. Notes approved.
[No Old Business Discussion]
Christine asked the Ministry Head Guest to introduce themselves.:
Each Ministry Head was asked to provide a brief overview of
their Ministry program:
1) Altar Linen (Debra Merigo)
● Currently there are nine (9) members in the Linen Ministry.
● The purpose is to maintain the linens used by the priest of the
Eucharist during the holy sacrifice of the Mass. The contribution
of the Alter Linen Ministry is to help ensure that our
“ Sacred space” is both welcoming and appropriately
● Would welcome a few more volunteers. [See attachment 1]
2) Arts and Environment (Olga Browne) Isabel Reported
● Has three (3) volunteers/ could use more
● Need more 2030 year old volunteers
3) Bereavement Ministry (Celina Chavez)
● The ministry is com posed of 16 members and quarterly
the 2nd Tuesday of the month after 5:30pm Mass
● Mission: To provide bereavement/consolation support
due to the death of a loved one. Two scriptures that the
ministry follows are:
- Matthews 5:4 Blessed are they who mourn; they
will be consoled.
- Mark 1:14-15 When we minister to one another,
message to us is the reign of God is at hand.
[See attachment 2]
4) Bread Bakers (Becky Alcantar) Isabel Reported
● Have 5-6 active bakers
● It takes 3-4 hours to prepare the bread for each
[See Attachment 3]
5) Homebound (Dodie Marrufo) Isabel Reported
● Ten (10) ministers
● Fr. Alex will do a twice a month training session
● The Diocese conducts a quarterly training session
6) Lunch Bunch (Bonnie Benedetti)
● Four (4) volunteers per day/Five (5) hours a week
● Everyone who uses the kitchen should sig a contract
To leave kitchen clean and used items put back in
● Would like to see more donations from the parish,
Perhaps a second collection every other month and/
or a fund raiser.
● Could use more volunteer [See Attachment 4]
7) Marriage Mentoring (Nancy Davis & Olga Browne)
● Couple decides on either Engaged Encounter at Holy Cross
Retreat Center or Prepare Enrich Program (PEP)
● Engaged Encounter decision: contact info given to engaged couple
and couple contacts Holy Cross Retreat Center or
● Couple completes on-line survey from PEP
● PEP facilitator reviews survey
● Connect engaged couple with mentoring couple
●Provide pastor with documents indicating 6-8 Mentoring sessions
have been completed by engaged couple
-Program needs mentoring couples married 10-15 years.
-Pastor recommends suitable couples for this ministry.
-Requests for this ministry have not, in the past, been advertised as other
ministries have. [See Attachment 5]
8) Money Counters (James Kelly)
● Meet every Tuesday morning (7:30am-9:am)
● Requires eight (8) individuals to do the counting.
More time required when there is a second collection.
● Would be good to have someone from the Finance
Council as a counter,
9) Newman Women’s ACTS/Adoration Community Theology Service
(Isela Alvarez, Emma Armendairz, Deanna Gibbs, and Elaine Paredes)
● Ministry to Newman Center: 1) Music Ministry, 2) Support
Priests, 3) Share the journey Posada Novena, 4) Our Lady
Of Guadalupe Celebration, 5) Faith sharing Groups,
6, Mary Month of Mary Rosary, 7) Pizza, Praise and
Worship at Newman, 8) Epiphany House Blessing,
9) Presentation of Our Lord Candles, 10) Soup, Stations,
And Holy Cards, 11) Rosary Tree, 12) 2018 Good Friday
Pilgrimage to Santo Nino de Atocha, 13) St. Peregrine
● Newman Ministries supported by Newman ACTS Sisters
In Past Years
● Additional Service Projects, Faith formation and Fellowship.
[See Attachment 6]
10) Prayer Chain (Isabel Gallegos)
● The prayer chain is made up of those who want to devote
Some time to pray for those that are sick or need a special
Following the presentations. The emerging theme was :
►Each Ministry needs more volunteers
►Parishioners need to be made more aware of the various
Ministries and what they do.
► A more effective recruitment program needs to be put in place.
Next Meeting: June 10, 2019 6:30pm at the Bridge
Submitted by Hiram L. Davis